Homemade Fried Okra
(makes 6-8 servings)
- 6 cups cooking oil, for frying
- 1/2 cup of cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose or spelt flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 pounds fresh okra, sliced 1/2-inch thick or2 (10-oz.) packages frozen whole okra, thawed*
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- Heat oil in a deep heavy skillet or Dutch oven to 350F. Note: Do not fill the pan more than halfway up on both sides.
- Combine the cornmeal, flour, and cayenne pepper in a medium shallow bowl.
- Dip the okra in buttermilk and dredge in the cornmeal mixture to coat it completely.
- Carefully add the okra to the hot oil and let it cook until it is brown.
- Once the okra looks brown at the edges, remove with tongs and drain on paper towels and serve immediately!