Jeweled Tabbouleh is a joyful cracked wheat salad studded with colorful, gem-like fruits and nuts…if your body is a temple, this is definitely something you’ll want to invite inside.
Tabbouleh is a traditional Lebanese dish made with bulgur wheat that’s been soaked and softened. It marinates in a simple dressing of really good fruity olive oil and fresh squeezed lemon juice. It’s mixed with TONS of fresh parsley and mint which gives it a unique refreshing flavor.
The ‘jewels’ in Jeweled Tabbouleh are chopped dried fruits and nuts that give the salad a beautiful look along with lots of contrast of flavor and texture. I’ve used classic Middle Eastern touches like almonds, pistachios, apricots and pomegranate seeds. The inspiration goes back to a opulent Persian dish called Jeweled Rice that was served at special occasions like weddings.
Typically tabbouleh is made with bulgur alone, but in this salad I combined it with wheat berries for a blend of textures.
What You Will Need
- 2 cups soaked cracked wheat (measure AFTER soaking)
- 2 cups cooked wheat berries (measure AFTER cooking)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 large bunches WELL WASHED fresh parsley, stems removed, finely minced (I pulsed it in a food processor)
- 1 small bunch of fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 English cucumber, finely diced (the kind that comes wrapped in plastic, don’t peel)‘jewels’
- 1/2 cup raw pistachios, rough chopped
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, finely diced
- 1/4 cup blanched almonds, rough chopped
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds (arils)
InYou will need 2 cups soaked cracked wheat and 2 cups cooked wheat berries. Follow the directions on the packages. Once soaked and cooked, measure out 2 cups each and put in a large bowl.
- Mix the dressing by whisking the olive oil and lemon juice together. Pour it over the wheat and toss to combine well. Season with 1/2 tsp salt and lots of fresh cracked black pepper. Toss again.
- Add the minced parsley, mint, cucumber, toss well. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Toss the salad again, and taste to adjust any of the seasonings. When you are ready to serve, top with the ‘jewels’.